Report on Social Media Popularity Curve 2010
Social media has seen a consistent and explosive growth in 2010. Additionally, experts are hopeful that this trend will continue in 2011. According to the blog Royal Pingdom, the statistics for popular social media in 2010 are as follows:
- 152 million blogs were posted on the Internet (tracked by BlogPulse)
- 25 billion tweets were sent on Twitter
- 100 million new users created accounts on Twitter
- As of September 2010 over 175 million people were on Twitter
- At the end of 2010 over 600 million people were active on Facebook
- In 2010 alone over 250 million new users signed up for Facebook
According to The Creative Department ,
Facebook users also shared 30 billion pieces of content each month throughout 2010, uploaded 20 million videos each month and installed 20 million applications, including such popular games as Farmville and Cityville, each day.
Social media, experts say will grow into a bigger beast in 2011, with more people following social media. It is believed that in 2011 more and more people will start to rely more on social media for decisions that they make. This means that in 2011, more and more brands will start to take social media seriously, and spend a lot more time and money on social media advertising and brand promotion activities.