Migrate Your iTunes Library from PC to MAC
Making the switch from PC to Mac and want to bring your iTunes library with you? There’s more than one way to skin this cat, but here’s a relatively painless method we used recently.
This article was written with iTunes 7 in mind. However, the principle should hold for moving comparable versions (ie iTunes 6 Win to iTunes 6 mac) or for moving upstream (iTunes 6 Win to iTunes 7 Mac). Also, the principles describe below also apply to simply moving your iTunes library from one computer to another, Mac-to-Mac, PC-to-PC, or any combination of the two. You can even use this method to clone an iTunes library from one computer to many others.
- Your music files, be them mp3, aac or other, are all stored on your main (C:) drive, not an external hard drive.
- iTunes manages all your music files (ie all you music files are stored in the iTunes Music folder).
- -or-You are willing to have all your music files moved into your iTunes Music folder on your new Mac.
Here’s a quick method for migrating your iTunes library.
1. Setting the stage
2. If you have an iPod, make it cross-platform
3. Transfer purchased music to iTunes
4. Copying the rest of your music
5. Importing your library onto your Mac