How to force Mango update on Windows Phone 7
Mango update attempts to be a savior for the Windows Phone OS by bringing more than 500 new features. The chief amongst these is the ability to multi-task, Twitter and Facebook integration and the availability of new APIs for developers to create more capable applications. The update roll out would normally take 2-3 months before everyone has gotten it, however with the method described below you can get it early. It will work on any phone whether it’s factory unlocked or carrier branded.
The prerequisite for the Mango update is that you need the NoDo + security update before you can get Mango. This means you need the 7392 update before you can proceed to get Mango update.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged. Connect your phone to your PC and start Zune.
- Click phone>settings>updates and see if any update is found. If Zune says phone is up to date then move onto the next step. Or if update is found then continue with the update process.
- Time for a force update. Timing is crucial here so be careful. Click update button again, and when you do immediately disconnect your PC from the Internet by taking out the Ethernet cable or disabling Wi-Fi. You need to do these 1-2 seconds after you click the update button in Zune. If it says your phone is updated then your timing was off. Keep trying and eventually Zune will tell you an update is available.
- If update found, enable Internet and proceed to update. If it’s the pre-Mango update let it install and then do the same disconnect procedure for Mango.
- The update procedure is 7008>7390>7392>7403>7720. The last one being the Mango update
- After the 7403 update Mango should install on its own.
The whole update procedure can take more than 1 hour so make sure you have enough time before you start updating. During update do not disconnect or attempt to use your phone or close Zune. After all updates are completed your phone will restart. You can check the software version by going into settings>about phone. If it says 7720 then you’re running latest version of Mango.